Regional Meeting for the Development of the ASEAN Declaration on Human Resource Development for the Changing World of Work
About the Event
From 14-15 January 2020 in Vinh Phuc Province, The Ministry of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs Viet Nam (MOLISA), in the collaboration with the ASEAN Secretariat and the German Government’s Regional Cooperation Programme on TVET in ASEAN (RECOTVET), organized “The Regional Meeting for the development of the ASEAN Declaration on Human Resources Development for the changing world of work”. The meeting was the first in a series of activities on HRD, a priority topic of Viet Nam’s ASEAN Chairmanship 2020.
The Meeting brought together representatives of the Senior Labour Officials Meeting (SLOM) and the Senior Education Officials Meeting (SOMED) of ASEAN, the ASEAN Future Workforce Council (AFWC) and international/ regional organisations as well as international and Vietnamese experts to consult on a “Draft ASEAN Declaration on Human Resources Development (HRD) for the changing world of work” to be adopted by the 36th ASEAN Summit.
In her opening remarks delivered on behalf of the Leader of MOLISA, Dr. Ha Thi Minh Duc, Deputy Director General of International Cooperation Department, emphasized that Viet Nam recognises people the most important driver of development: “We realize that the world is transforming itself as it enters into a new era: the era of digitalization and industry revolution 4.0. Technological changes inevitably lead to fluctuations in the labor market, changes in the world of work where many jobs disappear, and other new jobs are created. We work with our partners in ASEAN on HRD to develop an adequate response to change and become more fit for the future”. Dr. Ha Thi Minh Duc expressed her appreciation for the support of the ASEAN Secretariat and the German RECOTVET programme as well as all participants for making this meeting possible, for engaging in open discussions and sharing of experience and for their feedback on this zero draft developed by ASEAN Secretariat and Viet Nam.
The first draft was finalized with 12 key points covering:
- cultivate lifelong learning culture;
- adopt an inclusive approach in HRD;
- enhance the agility, responsiveness and cohesiveness of labor, education and economic policies and institutional frameworks;
- develop and realize policies and initiatives for lifelong learning;
- enhance leadership of business and educational institutions on HRD issues;
- improves the image of TVET;
- promote demand-driven competencies and qualification in TVET as well as in higher education;
- improve accessibility and quality of Labour Market Information Systems;
- establish the ASEAN TVET Coucil as a platform for coordination;
- establish a pool of funds to support priorities and researches on future skills needs;
- strengthen cooperation among ASEAN internal stakeholders;
- strengthen cooperation between ASEAN and ASEAN’s external partners.
The meeting is the follow-up event of the regional workshop “Human Resources Development for a Fast-Changing World” on 14 and 15 October 2019, in Ha Long, Viet Nam. The objective of the Meeting is to deliberate on the draft of the ASEAN Declaration on Human Resources Development for the Changing World of Work.