Women and the Economy in Myanmar: An Assesment of DFAT’s Private Sector Development Programes
DFAT has commissioned a gender assessment programme with the aim of creating positive outcomes for women. With the participation of employees from Yangon and Bangkok DFAT Offices, this report seeks to highlight on the ways in which women can have the ability to pursue their own livelihood visions through reforms.
This gender assessment programme has the objectives to:
- identify the major constraints and opportunities faced by women in Burma/Myanmar in relation to the business enabling environment;
- identify opportunities for the ICCP and MBI to have a positive impact on women, and improve the terms of their economic participation; and
- propose strategies for ensuring that gender considerations are embedded within the ICCP and MBI program structure and implementation cycle.
The key findings are categorised into 3 main thematic areas:
- Support to the enabling environment;
- Support to the private sector; and
- Setting new precedents